503 - Demonstrate basic use of page layout software (e.g. Quark, InDesign).
504 - Demonstrate intermediate use of page layout software (e.g. Quark, InDesign).
512 - Organize and manage digital files.
603 - Write a creative brief.
608 - Design promotional materials.
703 - Manipulate type through character and paragraph formatting.
704 - Choose and apply appropriate typeface.
Screen Printing Project - T-shirt design and printing - we will be continuing our work on this project. Once your shirt is printed, make sure that you clean all ink from the screen and reclaim your screens so that the next student can proceed.
Artist Magazine - in place of a written final exam, this project will be a culminating work. We have completed a school yearbook. What I'd like us to do now is to create a year-in-review publication that highlights the great work you've done this year in the Commercial Art program. Each student will be creating a magazine-style publication that displays the work of everyone in the program this year. This week we will be doing the following:
- Choose five works that you created this year and copy them into a new folder with your name as the folder name.
- You will be writing an artist's statement about one of the works in the folder. Save your artist statement as a MS Word file and place it into the folder.
- Copy the folder up to the Year-In-Review folder in Google Drive. You will need to be logged onto your student Google account in order to do this.
- Once everyone has their folders uploaded, we will download the entire Year-In-Review folder. These files will be the contents of your magazine.
- You will need to Title your magazine (be creative) and come up with a distinct Cover, layout design and choose: a color scheme, fonts that help tell the story that makes sense. Creating thumbnails for pages would probably be wise. It would be a great idea to look at samples by Google searching art journals, magazine layout, etc.
- Layouts will be done in Adobe InDesign and page size will be 8.5" x 11". I would recommend starting with a 28 page document. Use facing pages and set up margins with .125" bleed.