- SkillsUSA District competitions will be held in early January
- The yearbook needs to be completed by March 1, 2011
- Seniors will be taking NOCTI exams – both written and hands-on
- Junior students need to complete their ePortfolio job shadow experience by the end of April
- Senior projects need to be completed by the beginning of May
During the second part of the year we’re going to continue with the photo challenge, but we’re also going to start doing a weekly design challenge as well. I will be putting the specifications on this home page every week. Make sure that you’re reading this page every week so that you know due dates and requirements for the assignments. These two weekly challenges are 80% of your grade so you want to make sure that you are working on them throughout the week.
This week’s Photo Challenge topic is a “rule of thirds”
Look over the suggested websites and submit three images that demonstrate the good use of the concept of the rule of thirds in photography. There are sample shots on each of the pages. Don’t be afraid to fill your lens with the subject that you are capturing. Upload your finished, color corrected and cropped images by Friday, January 7th.
This week’s Design Challenge topic is a business card using an abstract logo. Here are the steps you will need to take:
- Create a fictitious company name. You can use your name and address for the other information (address, telephone, email and web address) Here is a site that might help you create a name for your company/product: The wordlab name generator creates restaurant/pub, business names, band names and character names. It's a pretty interesting way to pick a design project.
- Create six thumbnails of potential layouts for your business card.
- Make three fully designed cards using Adobe Illustrator. The finished size of your card should be 3.5” x 2 or 2” x 3.5”
- Upload a pdf file of your three finished designs to your work folder by Friday, January 7th.