Seniors - Be sure to back up the work you have on your IU Google Drive to your personal account before the end of June. That would include work you completed in Portfolio class. Anyone with a personal Google email account has a Google Drive account so it would be wise to create copies of work you've completed here. Backing up work is absolutely necessary whenever you're working with a computer!
Returning students - make sure that all work that is on local workstations in our lab is backed up to your Google Drive. All computers will be erased and reformatted with a clean image this summer. Just a heads up - it appears we will be starting the new school year with the Adobe Creative Cloud.
Final Project - I expect all final project work to be completed by June 8th. Be sure to check your grade on Powerschool to be sure that I've evaluated your project.
I want to congratulate all of you that worked so hard on this year's edition of the Shield. The amount of labor that goes into producing this book is staggering. I appreciate all of the effort you put into creating this year's book.
The yearbooks have arrived and sales are under way. There is no perfect book. We worked hard on this year's book but it has some issues that, going forward, we need to work at improving. After discussions with this year's yearbook staff we developed a list of actions we can take on making next year's book better.
Some ideas for next year's book:
- Start earlier - in every phase we could have been working on this earlier and have avoided the last minute rush that we had this year. I promise to get things going earlier.
- Check spelling of everyone’s name – there is no reason for getting this wrong.
- Check pictures for retakes – many did not get into the book.
- Have a set time for photos and retakes –
- All portraits must occur before December 20th (unless newly enrolled after that date.)
- Portrait layout sections must be done (completed) by third week in January.
- All students will be shown how they will appear in the yearbook and sign off on name/spelling. These proofs need to be done by end of February.
- Make announcements on scheduling, purchasing, senior pages on a weekly basis.
- Need another faculty member involved in proofreading, senior quotes/memories content and marketing of the yearbook. This cannot all fall on one person.
- Page layouts for events that have occurred can be completed as these events happen. For example, prom pictures already exist for the 16-17 prom – that layout can be started in early September.
- Create a pre-printed log for all portrait sessions – place photo numbers on lines next to a person’s name.
- Communicate better with parents. We need to send out letters or emails to Senior parents bi-monthly to keep them informed and to solicit input for the book.