Competencies this week:
- 402 - Apply appropriate color schemes to generate design solutions.
- 505 - Demonstrate basic use of a vector-based drawing program.
- 506 - Demonstrate intermediate use of a vector-based drawing program.
- 507 - Demonstrate basic use of image editing software.
- 508 - Demonstrate intermediate use of image editing software.
- 510 - Demonstrate appropriate use of different file formats.
- 511 - Organize and manage digital files.
- 606 - Create a design for a package.
- 906 - Participate in critiques of commercial art projects.
This week we'll be working on packaging design. For this project you will need to bring in an existing package or use one that is in class. You will be creating a fictional product design that could be used in your finished portfolio. DO NOT just copy an existing design, you will need to explore at least three different design options before completing a finished design. A parody of an existing product is encouraged - be as creative as possible!
Some tips for this project:
- Measure in millimeters - this will help you measure much more accurately. Look for the thin flexible trasparent You will need to change the measuring mode in whatever program you're using. This can be done under program preferences>units and increments.
- If you're unsure of what to design or you do not have a sample package - Adobe Illustrator has a variety of templates that you might want to consider. There are templates for boxes, CDs, DVDs, Music Packages and other items. These might be a place to start if you can't come up with anything. Just choose File>New from Template… and make a choice. There are some sample uses in this file chooser section as well.
- Spend time developing the right color palette for your piece and make sure that you're addressing the hierarchy of design!