505 - Demonstrate basic use of a vector-based drawing program (e.g. Illustrator).
506 - Demonstrate intermediate use of a vector-based drawing program (e.g. Illustrator).
507 - Demonstrate basic use of image editing software (e.g. Photoshop).
605 - Design a logo.
703 - Manipulate type through character and paragraph formatting.
704 - Choose and apply appropriate typeface.
This week our focus is going to be on the basic use of typography in graphic design. Type should be considered another design element that we can use to tell our story with clarity. The projects we will be working on all have an important type component.
Projects This Week:
- Using the personal branding info we gathered last week, create a logo for yourself in one of your dream jobs. We'll be integrating typography that supports the info that you collected by creating a personal brand logo in Adobe Illustrator.
- Using Adobe Photoshop and this tutorial, create a typographic portrait. You will need to collect text from a speech or a song lyric as well as a tight face portrait (mostly face) before beginning.
- We'll begin practicing along with our seniors for upcoming NOCTI tests by playing a game or two of Kahoot.
- Dafont.com - this site offers free type downloads that we can use.
- Branding Guidelines - this site allows you to view a number of large companies' brand guidelines. We'll be looking at these to see how branding is applied in all of the communications a company may produce.
- Typography Basics - this site contains basic typography terms with explanations.