" Faces of type are like men’s faces.
They have their own expression;
their complexion and peculiar twists and turns of line
identify them immediately to friends,
to whom each is full of identity.”
- Watch A Lesson on Typography on YouTube. Take Notes!
- Download the Word Meaning document and complete the exercise in Adobe Illustrator.
- Download the Movies/Books Illustrator document and complete the exercise in Adobe Illustrator. If you need help formatting type in Illustrator, work through this online tutorial.
- Post the results of both exercises to your learning journal.
- Students plan page layouts using Illustrator with a minimum of 6 pages. Students choose from three sizes : 5’x5’, 9 ½ x 3 ½, or 4 ½ x 6 ½ .
- Students choose a song lyric, poem, quote, or make up their own phrase to be the subject of their book. The phrase must be appropriate.
- Students learn what an accordion book is and how to construct one.
- Students follow the design process through by planning, executing, printing, and making/constructing their final product-a hand-bound type book.
- Students use creative thinking and problem solving to illustrate their phrase through the use of font choices and text manipulation with Illustrator and Photoshop.
- Students learn some basic elements of design, including composition, balance, concept and message, and the principle of unequal spacing.